A not so embarrassing anymore fatblog by Curtis Autery

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Week 22

186.2/189.9

Well, my TickerFactory chart is getting interesting. The graphics code creating the text for BMI and weight can obscure the endpoints if you get too close. I'm getting too close:




I think I need to study more about how food works. It seems that if I eat low fat, high protein foods that total 1600 Calories, I am an order of magnitude more hungry at the end of the day than if I eat the same number of Calories in a higher fat, carb-heavy diet. And while I'm at it, I need to learn more about exercise physiology. If I'm jogging until I'm winded, I lose more weight than if I do a 28 minute stint on an elliptical trainer at the gym, making me believe what all the HIIT buffs say about creating an oxygen deficit. Of course, the only difference is I can work out on a low-impact trainer several days in a row before it kills my legs, but after jogging I need to take a break the next day for my muscles to heal.

So basically even though I've succeeded in losing 68.8 pounds in 22 weeks, and I've gone from looking like this...



...to looking like this...



...I still have some information gaps. I've learned a lot about motivation and being true to yourself, and about injury prevention and monitoring your health as you get in shape, but there is a lot of science out there mixed in with a lot of "try our new amazing revolutionary system!!!", so sifting signal from noise can be difficult. I think there's nothing for it but for me to finish my studies of health, and write my book, make my millions.

So I'm only 1.2 pounds from goal of losing 70 pounds. I'll finish that up sometime this week, and when I do I'll officially be in phase 2: Add Calories and build muscle mass. High protein foods and add more strength training to my workout routine.

More news in a couple weeks, more pictures in a few months to showoff my progress.

No comments: