A not so embarrassing anymore fatblog by Curtis Autery

Saturday, March 15, 2008

One Year - The Results

Morning weight: 176.0
Trend weight: 177.6
Starting weight March 14 last year: 255
Starting weight - today's weight: 78 pounds.



175 seems to be where my body starts to bitch. I've been as low as 175.2 for a single day, but I tend to settle around 177/178, and as I get under that, my body gets panicked cravings like it did the first few days I started my diet last year. At 178, my fiancée smiles when she sees me without a shirt on (same girl from last post, we ended up seeing wedding bells in the future after all), I can bench press without the old shoulder pinch, walk up flights of stairs without knee pain, do pushups without my elbow popping, hold the Yoga position "Dolphin Plank" (my new favorite warmup exercise) without lower back pain, and make it through the day without crashing at 5 when I get home. I'll take it.

My goal to beef up hasn't been panning out very well. I'll keep on that. I have stopped going to the gym constantly, and have been doing maintenance workouts at home with bodyweight exercises and freeweights. During the indoor soccer season I started getting knee pain, so I gave up soccer, jogging, and elliptical trainers in favor of walking, to give the knee time to heal up. It has healed, and I have been starting flexibility exercises again to get myself ready for the upcoming spring season. My wind has taken a hit, as the last week of lunch hour stair climbing has shown me, but I'll be able to get that back. Most of our local snow has melted, and I'm anxiously awaiting the sun drying up the leftover mess, then I can start taking walks to Hoover and doing wind-sprints up the stairs again.

Overall I'm happy with the maintenance I've been doing over the last 4 months. I've been consistently under 180 pounds since November 1, and I've reduced how closely I monitor my Calories. "This seems about right" has been working pretty well, and I've broken my habit of constantly seeking starch and sugar.

I'll write some more after soccer season starts to either reign victorious over knee and endurance issues, or whine like a little girl. Time will tell, but I put the odds of success in my favor.

No comments: