A not so embarrassing anymore fatblog by Curtis Autery

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Week 5

233.2/238.8



From tickerfactory.com. Cute. I found images similar to this on a message board for people using dance video games for weight loss. Why should I be looking around in such a place? Because my kid and I recently stopped by GameStop and bought this:



Yes, I've finally gone mad from lack of refined sugar, I guess. A couple days of playing hasn't injured me, my knees and ankles holding strong at the beatings I've given them with "Funkytown" on beginner level. I've managed to work up a decent sweat playing the game, so I can see it's appeal as a weight-loss tool.

I've been thinking about DDR since the last time Stacey and I went to Magic Mountain. The rollercoaster simulator is right beside a DDR clone, and as Stacey and I waited in line for the simulator, I watched a few people play the dance game. A pair of players not that much younger than me put in their $2, and seemed to have a great time playing, the lady in particular was actually dancing around rather than just stepping on the buttons. I've seen people of varying skill play before, but for the first time I thought it might be fun, and that I could learn the game. So I bought one.

The dog doesn't want to wrestle when Stacey and I are playing, which is good. It's something fun we can both do together at home, which is good. There is a wealth of subculture devoted to this, and I am a fledgling newbie with lots to explore, which is good. All good. I'm happy to have spent some cheddar on the game and two dance pads.

Another item of interest is the large amount of showoff DDR videos out there. Some players have obviously been practicing for years, doing backflips off of the bar and other breakdance-esque moves, and are clearly enjoying the game while they showboat. Search youtube for "Smidget" or "Phrekwenci" for a few examples.


Monday marked the day I crossed the 20 pound mark, making my loss rate since I started over .5 pounds per day. This seems impossible, and means that my diet change and increased exercise total close to a 2000 Calorie per day deficit. The numbers seem unhealthy, or wrong, so I've been keeping track of my pulse rate and blood pressure at work (averaging about 70bpm and 110/65, respectively), and comparing with different scales. I found my old digital scale at home in a closet, and it approximately matches the new scale, which approximately matches the scale at the nurse's office at work.

I haven't had any bouts of dizziness or other malnutrition-related symptoms (other than losing weight and being occasionally cranky), and I take a daily multivitamin (GNC's "Mega Men's"), which I suspect plays a big part in keeping me going. It's possible that the crushing setbacks are right around the corner, but a commitment to daily exercise, avoiding candy, and meal planning have done right by me so far. I'm still feeling positive about the plan.

No comments: